Tears of the King
Acolyte in the Order of the Golden Sun
Nikolas of the Order of the Golden Sun, level 3
Human, Cleric Build: Shielding Cleric Background: Birth - Omen (+2 to History) FINAL ABILITY SCORES Str 11, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 20, Cha 14. STARTING ABILITY SCORES Str 11, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 14. AC: 11 Fort: 13 Reflex: 13 Will: 20 HP: 32 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 8 TRAINED SKILLS Diplomacy +8, Religion +5, History +7, Heal +11, Insight +11 UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +1, Arcana, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +1, Intimidate +3, Nature +6, Perception +6, Stealth +1, Streetwise +3, Thievery +1, Athletics +1 FEATS Cleric: Alchemist Human: Defensive Healing Word Level 1: Implement Expertise (holy symbol) Level 2: Pacifist Healer POWERS Bonus At-Will Power: Astral Seal Channel Divinity: Healer's Mercy Cleric at-will 1: Sacred Flame Cleric at-will 1: Lance of Faith Cleric encounter 1: Cause Fear Cleric daily 1: Astral Condemnation Cleric utility 2: Shield of Faith Cleric encounter 3: Command ITEMS Ritual Book, Quarterstaff, Amulet of Protection +1 RITUALS Gentle Repose FORMULAS Clearsense Powder
The very moment Nikolas was born a shooting star in the night sky split in twain. The people of Nylösa, Nikolas’ village, interpreted this as a sign of duel births. He has spent the majority of his time since leaving his monastery searching for the other child, and the meaning of their existence.
A member of a small Order that worships Sunna, Nikolas’ faith is almost unparalleled. His body almost seems to radiate a warm golden light, like many of his order. This feature is often enough to frighten the lesser evils of the world. A pacifist by nature, when forced into a fight he will often choose to aid those he travels with in lieu of combat with the actual foe.Family
- Nikolas is the son Gunnhilda and Hrafnkel Valgard. They are simple farmers in the village of Nylösa. Hrafnkel has been dead for several years. His unfortunate death at the hands of brigands was the catalyst for Nikolas’ pacifism.
- Nikolas is an only child.
- His family was farmers.
- The only action Nikolas has seen thus far has been the minor skirmish on the outskirts of the family farm that led to his father’s death.
- As farmer’s, Nikolas’ family has been reliant upon the sun and the Goddess Sunna for their well-being. As a child Nikolas partook in several rituals designed to garner the blessings of the sun Goddess.
- Hrafnkel took his ten year old son to Jarlshof, to the great temple of Sunna. A giant gothic temple decorated with monolithic stone statues. Behind the altar is a large circular stained glass window facing east. As the sun rises it shines through the oculus creating an amazing spectacle during the morning worship. When Nikolas saw this for the first time he knew that he would become a cleric of Sunna.
- Nikolas regularly corresponds with his mother and maintains a pleasant relationship with
- Nikolas underwent his coming of age at after a single year in the monastery at the age of 15. His task was to meditate unmoving facing east for a week while wearing a simple golden medallion. Though many in his order fail this task the first time they attempt it, Nikolas succeeded. Since his completion of this task his body has gained the faint glow of the sun.
- Being a pacifist, but not a coward, Nikolas has seen little action and no real combat. When confronted by those that would do him harm, he simply Commands them to leave or run away in fear.
- His first love has always been for the Goddess Sunna without who the world would remain shrouded in eternal darkness forever.
- From the age of 14 Nikolas has been trained in the monastery to be a cleric of a small order known as the Order of the Golden Sun.
- Seeing the world, helping others.
- When Nikolas first read the prince’s note, he first thought to himself “Why me? I am but a lowly cleric of Sunna.” However, he see’s the games as an excellent chance to question those he would not normally meet about his “other half” as he often refers to the other child as. Though not planning on competing, he is somewhat competent with a quarterstaff and if forced to compete (which is against his nature) he would compete in the joust.
- There are no scars of major significance on Nikolas’ body, just incidental ones from a life on the road. Nor are there tattoos or any birthmarks.
- His blond hair is kept short.
- His eyes are blue.
- Nikolas is medium height with a slight build kept that way from his life on the road.
- Nikolas wears the classic robes of his order. The robes are white and travel worn.
- Nikolas’ greatest pet peeve is when someone closes the drapes while inside, shutting out the sun.
- If forced to take the life of someone, the Order of the Golden Sun’s ritual of purification must be undergone. The ritual involves locking oneself up in the dark for three days bereft of sunlight. While locked up, the penitent must utter the Epic of Kollsvein, an ancient hero the Order.
- Nikolas would rather sleep on the ground then a soiled bed.
- He would never steal if he was hungry.
- Only if the person starving was child, would he consider stealing food for them.
- If he saw two people fighting, he would do his best to break up fight. Commanding them if need be.
- The only time that Nikolas imbibes alcohol is when a ritual of Sunna mandates that he does.